Youth Course with Anthony Stocks
Saturdays 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Art is a passion for many young people, and the Southern Atelier opens its door to youth who are interested in learning art through the classic Atelier training method. Our objective is to introduce budding art students to basic drawing, while stimulating imagination in a fun and interactive environment.
The goal of these classes is to provide skill-based learning to create a deeper understanding of the visual imagery that is all around us. At the Atelier we believe that anyone has the ability to create art, by learning basic skills such as those implemented by Da Vinci and Michelangelo.
Each lesson will encourage a child’s creativity while asking them to analyze what they see and apply it in a variety of different exercises.
The classes will focus on emphasizing form primarily using charcoal to establish and build upon a foundation of traditional drawing.
Bargue* drawings allow the student to acquire the skills necessary to complete a high-level work of art from start to finish. Students complete a precise drawing in graphite pencil to begin with, and then gradually move to charcoal work.
The skills learned with these principles and techniques can be applied to any number of art forms, from anime illustration to fine art painting.
The overall objectives in our Youth Program are:
- Students learn and develop the discipline of the drawing craft. This helps with overall discipline and focus in other areas of life and builds character.
- Students learn to draw what is actually in front of them, instead of what they think they see. In other words, they will learn to draw an actual tree instead of a stylized “lollipop” tree.
What to Expect
Our youth program focuses on the following:
- Block-in a basic shape such ear or other facial features.
- Learn to measure precisely.
- Control of values. Values are gradations of shade from black to white.
- Look for masses of light and shadow. Instead of concentrating on the details, the student learns to squint and look for the big shapes.
- Gain understanding of how to render 3-D objects on a 2-D surface.
- Learn how light reacts on the form.
- Understand the basic anatomy of an object.
This class is open for all school age students.
Date and Time: Every Saturday afternoon from 1:00-4:00pm
Fee: $300/10 Classes, $40/drop-in