Summer Fun|Serious Art|Southern Atelier
Have a blast doing what you love!
Summer Art Immersion brings traditional methods of drawing and painting to passionate young artists. The combination of drawing, seeing, reading and writing provides young artists with a fun way both to improve their multi-disciplinary skills and to learn some new art techniques over the summer months.
Southern Atelier is unique in the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa area. It is a traditional art studio-workshop, and young artists can experience what it’s like to work in a space where serious artists are hard at work creating and learning all year round.
For students aged 13-18
Session Dates: June 15-19, June 22-26 & July 27-31
Price: $550 per child; 3% discount for payments in cash or check; 5% discount for parent chaperones.
Materials are included. This includes all the good-quality materials required for the week, and students will be able to use these art supplies outside the session. Materials will ready for pickup on the first day of the week.
Sponsored in part by:
What to Expect
- Learn to draw and paint in the studio and outside. Each day will have a different theme: still life; figure drawing; plein air and perspective; sketchbook creation and use
- Create a journal/sketchbook for quick sketching and written reflections about experiences
- Research Old Master artists and their work and read about their paintings; use the sketchbook for notes and drawings that copy Master artists
- Construction of a portfolio of original artwork, an important element for entry into magnet schools or colleges
- Visit Ringling Museum for a full day of a docent-led tour to learn about the art and follow-up with plein air (out-door) sketching and/or time in the Ringling’s art library
- Interact with artists and studio apprentices as they demonstrate their style of painting and drawing
- Experiment with different types of media: charcoal, pencil, watercolor, pen and ink
- Scavenger hunt and games
- Students bring their own bagged lunch and drinks. Healthy, light snacks will be provided.
Magnet schools and colleges can require prospective students to submit portfolios that demonstrate the level of expertise and the student’s readiness to participate in a structured art program. The portfolio is a collection of drawings and other artwork that students can create and add to during the Summer Art Immersion program. Summer Art Immersion is an ideal time to work on this important discipline.
One, Two or Three Weeks
Summer Art Immersion is designed so that young artists can sign up for a single week or any combination of two or three weeks. After the first week, they may want to continue a project or create new artwork. Spreading the weeks over the course of the summer gives young artists the opportunity to refine their skills in the early part of the summer break and then review and work more intensely in the last week. Young artists who sign up for only a single week will also benefit from the experience of being in our studio and learning new techniques. All our young artists will have a blast in Summer Art Immersion!
Families are invited to the studio on Friday afternoon for an impromptu art exhibition and reception, from 5-6pm. Artists who participate will learn to display – and price – their artwork.